From:
Karen Valderrama <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Karen Valderrama <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 May 2005 09:03:30 -0700

Hello Listmates,

Wow - I didnt' expect the flurry of replies to my
'cost' email.  I want to thank you for your concern
and  comments, which have made me realize there ARE
ways to circumvent or overcome most extra cost
associated with this diet.

Many of you said your diet consisted of meat, fish,
fresh vegetables and fruit, nuts and legumes, and many
of you pointed out this is a considerably healthier
diet than the standard American diet.

Several suggested purchasing speciality flours in
Asian markets.

A couple suggested grinding your own rice, and other
flours, purchased in bulk.

Two suggested there was, somehow, a tax break for a
medically necessary diet.

Other comments:

- "its a struggle at first, but I have never felt so
well in my entire life"
- "I rarely buy food at a health food store, Whole
Foods or Trader Joes, I use the supermarket,
purchasing fresh produce and meats on special"
- "we often forget, fruit, by itself, is a treat"
- "the diet can be accomplished without those
specialty foods"
- "freeze homemade soups and casseroles"
- "suggest purchasing a small freezer, was a
considerable savings"
- "the light at the end of a tunnel is not a train
coming!!!  :-)
- "I think the main cost of the gluten free diet comes
from trying to imitate non gluten free foods"
- "we have a very satisfying diet"

By listening to so many whose diet happily consists of
fresh fruits and vegetables, potatoes or rice, meats
and fish, I'm going to think about my seemingly
unending attraction to flour products.

Thank you all, again, for your helpful, thoughtful
comments.

Karen V.