From:
Paul Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Oct 2005 20:06:37 -0400
See my comments interspersed below:

At 12:49 PM 10/25/2005 -0400, you wrote:
>Cherry has just the keyboard face I want - standard, but without the extra
bank of duplicate keys between the main keyboard and the keypad on the far
right.  I'm confused about the connector now, though.  I'm not even sure if
I have an extra USB on the back.   I have a lot of stuff plugged into USB
as it is.  And you're right, Sue, a serial connector wouldn't do.  I only
have one on the PC and I use that for my printer.   My computer has
dedicated PS2 connections for the keyboard & mouse (which I would prefer to
use).

Good, go for the PS2 keyboard, which shouldn't be hard to come by (even
from Cherry)

<snip>
>http://www.cherrycorp.com/english/compact/classic-line_g81-1800.htm
>Well, I thought it was "the" keyboard, but on counting the keys, it has 7
rows of keys in the keypad area, which makes it deeper and the function
keys are placed further away from the main keyboard than the one I have.
It will do because I'm more interested in the width than the depth, but I
do have a lot of things assigned to function keys and I'd rather not have
to reach further to use them.
<snipped mouse stuff>

They still cram all of the keys in there, even the duplicates.  Marketing
sometimes dictates what common sense does not.  (same with the mouse!)

>1.  What does "membrane contact system" mean? The keys don't appear to be
membrane-type keys. Does that mean a membrane UNDER the keys? Would that
mean the G81-1800 would not have tactile feedback?

Yes, the mebrane is under the keys.  Keeps the internal works clean.
Assuming the G81-1800 is similar to some Cherry keyboards we have at work,
there is a little less tactile feedback, but I think you could get used to it.

>2.  How do you buy something on the Cherry site?  Not even any prices.

As you found out, they don't sell direct except in a few countries.  CDW is
a very good reseller, however.  They carry the G81-1800 in a PS2 connection.

Paul Jones

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>