From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Oct 2005 13:23:31 -0700
  Both PCI and USB 2.0 support higher data rates to the computer than you'll
get over the wireless, so I think the only advantage you *might* see with a
PCI NIC (WNIC?) would have to do with availability of power to the unit.
Unlikely to make a whole lot of difference.

  A higher-gain antenna on a cable that you can reposition is probably your
best solution.

  By the way, there is a lot of specialized terminology in wireless, and an
"Access Point" is a very specific sort of device, a bridge/switch with a
wired network port on on side and an infratructure-mode radio on the other --
 a "base station" that plugs into a wired network and allows wireless
clients to connect to it.  (It's very like a wireless router without the
routing capabilities.)  A wireless client NIC is a different beast.

David Gillett