From:
Carroll Grigsby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Oct 2005 20:37:13 -0400
D Duncan wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm looking into purchasing a simple laptop to run linux only.
>
>  From my initial window shopping, it seems most machines are
> preloaded with Windows.
>
> I have SimplyMEPIS bootable CD and Point & Click Linux (the book and
> guide) by Robin 'Roblimo' Miller and I'd like to play with it.  I
> really don't want to do it with my existing machines, so I'm looking
> to buy a new, simple laptop, ready to accept linux or preloaded with a
> *nix OS.
>
> Any recommendations?
>
> Thanks,
> Diane

Diane:
Although I don't have a laptop, I have been running Linux for several
years now. (In fact, I got started after reading a column that Roblimo
used to write called Cheap Computing.) Here's a couple of sites that may
help you in your search:

http://www.mepis.org/forum/6 -- A Mepis forum devoted to laptops; there
should be some useful information here.

www.linux-on-laptops.com -- lists both problems and successes that
people have had with various laptops with various Linux distributions. I
didn't see much about Mepis, but since Mepis is based on the Debian
distribution of Linux, some of those comments may apply. The nice thing
here is that people are also reporting out-of-the-box successes.

Note that this site is sponsored by a company that specializes in
selling laptops and desktops with Linux pre-installed; there are others.
I have no experience with any of them. While most of them are small
companies, Dell announced last week that they are selling PC's with only
a basic clone DOS operating system so that the customer can install
whatever flavor of Linux is preferred. The Register (a UK site)
attempted to purchase one, and they were quoted a higher price for a
Window-less system than for one with Windows installed. Go figure.
Further details here:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/10/07/dell_linux_tough/

Regards,
Carroll Grigsby