From:
Tom Mayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jan 2005 11:24:38 -0800
John

Thank you. The outside contact on my motherboard power connector is spring
loaded on about only 20% of the contact area. I was able to "pinch" the
contact a little tighter as you suggested and the result, although not as
good as new, is now acceptable. This is not a job for the technically
challenged. The pile of parts and screws was daunting by the time I got to
the power connector. I am fortunate to get it all back together and working
with the exception of one of the two USB ports. I can live with that as I
keep an eye out for a new laptop. I've built numerous desktops and they are
a lot easier.

I'm sending this message in case anyone else runs into a similar problem
with poor connection between the power cord and the laptop.

Tom Mayer

Tom- If the internal connector seems to be secure, the problem is probably
the
contact connectors in the cord end have expanded and don't fit tight on the
internal pins when connected.This happens frequently with round barrel type
connectors. Using a small jewelers screwdriver, push the tip of the
screwdriver down along the outside of each contact barrel in about 4 places
around each barrel. This will pinch the sides of the barrel inwards slightly
and hopefully make a good contact again.Don't overdue it, you can always
tweak a little more.
Hope this works-

John Dinges

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,