C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 21 Jun 2005 11:07:50 +0800
Deri James wrote:

> 'Distro' is short for 'distribution'. Slackware (which you used to have) was a
> distribution (distro) of Linux.
>
> Linux is really only the kernel or Operating System, to make the computer do
> anything useful you need loads of other bits, so individuals, clubs, or
> companies bundle these 'bits' up into a Linux Distribution - and then give it
> a really silly name!!
>
> Here's just the first 100!!!
>
> Ubuntu
> Mandriva
> Fedora
> MEPIS
> SUSE
> Debian

Oh, now I know the answer to Kat's question!!!!  I knew I knew this!
I'm running Debian distro (sigh... wy carrrnt kompuuut'er langwidge b
proper Engleeesh loike wot I speke?  Hee hee, sorry couldn't resist)

Feeling slightly less silly now!

Thanks again Deri, and thanks Kat (genuine thanks, *not* sarcastic
thanks!), for prompting me to figure out a little more of what I don't
know about computers - or about the computer lingo at any rate.

Rayna