From:
Adrienne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Nov 2006 19:50:57 EST
In a message dated 11/27/2006 6:48:33 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:
His logic would only hold true for people whose ancestors lived above the
tree line during the glacial era. And none of us really know that, so it
comes down to a matter of trial and error.
Right. He also mentions that we are all addicted in some fashion -- his trick
for himself was to get addicted to something that wouldn't make him gain
weight -- in his case -- coffee.  But he cautions that in some people, coffee will
knock out the appestat and create ravenous hunger.  There is also a chapter
on how to cheat intelligently -- he gave the analogy that preaching "never
cheat" is like preaching abstinence for sex ed -- doesn't work in the real world.
So he gives some interesting tips on various supplements to take before and
after a cheat to minimize the physical discomfort.  He also says that one
should only cheat AFTER one has made goal weight -- and then, only once per week
and only on one cheat food at a time -- cheats should be limited to once a week
only -- he says twice a week will surely lead to re-addiction (and once per
week may also -- trial and error again.)

At the writing of the book, he mentions that he had his heart attack and
weightloss following the implementation of his stone age diet happened twenty
years previously -- so this bodes well for those worried that high meat/fat diets
can cause or worsen heart problems.  At the time of writing, he'd also kept
his slim weight for those twenty years by sticking to his stone age regime with
intelligent cheats.  He mentions that he believed that cheating must be done
intelligently in the manner he sets forth -- he states that if it wasn't done
"scientifically" he knew it would get out of control and kill him.  He also
stated that after cheats -- he was unable to think/write as well as usual --
sounds like the "brain fog" so many of us experience after we fall off the
paleowagon.  Anyway -- I can't recommend this book highly enough.  I'm not certain
about the raw veggies/raw fruit only rule -- because it's now known that some
veggies become more nutrition when cooked.  Also, others, such as cruciferous
can be toxic to thyroid gland for hypothyroid individuals when eaten raw .  And
since cooking of meat is purportedly ok (but he emphasizes it should be
rare/pink NOT well done) -- seem odd that veggies/fruit must be eaten raw.  Also, no
mention of eggs?