From:
Adrienne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Nov 2006 19:34:58 EST
In a message dated 11/27/2006 6:57:18 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:
Does Newbold
actually specify 'fresh' meat as in previously unfrozen and give any
explanation for that?
Yes -- doesn't like cryovaced either -- and also claims that gas cooking can
be bed for some people.  The only way I can get grass-fed meat is frozen AND
cryovaced -- but I think if it's a choice between that an feedlot -- I'll stick
with the grass-fed. He also cautions agains browned/burned meat fat but
emphasizes that the white meat fat MUST be eaten (one must learn the proper amount
for oneself based on trial/error experimentation. He believes that sufficient
meat fat is essential for health on a stone age diet.  There is interesting
ahead of his time thinking regarding supplements -- specifically, he mentions
that modern diets are often deficient in magnesium, vitamin D and others and
also used L-carnitine and vitamin C powder amongst others. His writing style is
very witty (and often times a tad sarcastic) which makes reading the book quite
fun. The case studies of various patients' successes and failures was very
helpful to me.  It's interesting that Newbold was also a trained psychiatrist
but believed that much "mental illness" was the result of eating foods that are
incompatible with one's biochemistry.  Fascinating stuff!