From:
Adrienne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Nov 2006 13:52:06 -0500
I'm currently reading an interesting book by HL Newbold called Type A Type
B Weightloss.  My interest in this book arose after I'd read a study he
conducted on his patients with high cholesterol levels.  He advocated what
he called a "stone age" diet and believed that meat and fat were not the
problem but rather the addition of "new foods" and certain "modern" foods--
which he defined as grains, sugar, milk and milk products although he notes
some can tolerate unsalted butter, beans, peas, all processed foods, all
foods that must be cooked before they can be eated, and NUTS -- he says
that although they are not a "new food," they were unavailable to our
European ancestors during the 65,000 year Wurm glaciation. And he
postulates that this length of time was sufficient for many of his patients
to have inherited a biochemistry that cannot function properly with nuts.
Nuts have always created uncontrollable binges for me -- I just cannot eat
a reasonable amount --so maybe his theory holds true for me.  Anyway,
Newbold allowed his patients fresh meat WITH the fat intact, and up to
several servings of raw fruit and veggies.  All of the patients saw their
cholesterol plummet after several months despite eating plenty of fatty
meat.

Newbold himself had always been slender until after medical school.  As an
overworked, underpaid young doctor, he and his collegues became hooked on
the unlimited sweets, starchy meals and goodies etc that they were given at
the cafeteria -- he said they all started to gain weight but it wasn't
until he had a heart attack that he decided to do something about his
weight.  Low calorie left him hungry and weak -- through trial and error he
realized that animal protein with the fat and limited raw veggies and raw
fruit enabled him to lose weight quickly and also gave him tremendous
energy -- also, his previously "high" cholesterol plummeted.

What is interesting/different about his book is that he discusses the
ability of "new" foods to create food addictions where one MUST have a
certain food and where the elimination of such foods causes temporary
physical withdrawal symptoms ie headache, nausea, sweating, restlessness,
irritability, fatigue etc.  He also explains that new foods can also
cause "spree" eating -- insatiable binging where you eat and eat until you
feel like you could explode!  A person can suffer from both types of
problems -- Newbold says he himself suffered from both and that both
completely knock out one's appestat.  There is also interesting info on the
ability of other things such as chemicals,cooking methods, molds etc to
completely knock out one's appestat.

This book is out of print -- but well worth the search for it at used
booksellers or inter-library loan