From:
Mrs Caroline Centa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Nov 2006 22:51:30 -0800
I have been dredding this christmas, as it will be my first on the paleo diet.  Now I know the bulk of the food I can eat, as most of it is meats and fruit and vegetables in our household..  The thing I was trying to decide what to do about is the Christmas Pudding - as this is my favourite tradition.

Well being endowed with the brain I have, I decided to go and experiment, and am pleased to say I have created a christmas pudding that is 100% paleo, that even non paleo's can't distinguish as different:

PALEO XMAS PUDDING

Ingredients:

2 Oranges
200g Almond Meal
3 Tsp Spice
750g of mixed dried fruits
6 Eggs

Method:

1. Boil oranges in water for 2 hours.  Ensure water doesn't boil dry by adding fresh boiling water from the kettle as it gets low.  Allow to cool before removing from water.
2. Slice ends of orange and remove seeds.
3. Blend remaining part of the whole oranges (including peel).
4. Add Almond Meal, Spice and Eggs, blend until cake like consistency.
5. Stir through dried fruits into the mixture using a wooden spoon.
6. Pour mixture into a greased metal bowl. Cover bowl with aluminium foil and tie off with string.
7. In a large pot (large enough to hold the metal bowl with cake in it), place an inverted saucer (this keeps the metal bowl off the bottom).  Then place the metal bowl (with cake) on top of the saucer.  Fill pot with water until it comes up to 3/4 off the metal bowl.  Cover with lid.
8. Boil for 5-8 hours ensuring to add boiling water as it gets low.  I found boiling it for 5 hours and then letting it cool before boiling it for another 2-3 hours the next day works well...

It's yummy - you've gotta try it