From:
Ashley Moran <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Jan 2005 23:49:01 +0000
On Jan 13, 2005, at 7:03 am, Keith Thomas wrote:
> It's the opposite for me, but I think I know the reason.  It's summer
> now and there is glorious and
> abundant ripe fruit: apricots, peaches, locuts, blackberries,
> nectarines - all in my neighbourhood
> and all fresh and free.  Very more-ish and I'm allowing myself to eat
> at will (all raw).  So, I'm
> putting on a little body fat.

Keith,

I've often suspected that fruit eaten seasonally should cause some
weight gain in preparation from winter.  I've given up fruit for the
winter- I intend only to eat UK grown fruit, either bought from the
supermarket, or (preferably) found wild.  I know several places where
berries grown in abundance, and picking them must be unfashionable
these days, because they are largely untouched.  I just wish apricots,
peaches and nectarines grew in England!

> Rob Faigin gives thirteen references to suport his assertion that:
> "Whereas restricting calories
> causes a metabolic slowdown, consuming extra calories causes your body
> to step-up metabolic
> rate in order to 'waste' calories.  Thyroid activity, thermogenisis
> and leptin levels each increase
> during over-eating."
>
> Faigin also writes: "A thyroid hormone calles *trilodothyronine* (T3)
> is a key regulator of metabolic
> rate and calorie restriction causes a decline in T3.  Studies also
> show that diets that continuously
> restrict carbohydrate (like the Atkins diet) cause a reduction in T3
> and that administering
> cabohydrate can restore T3 levels after they have declined.  This ...
> explains why the fat comes
> piling back on once you quit such a diet.  Simply put, any diet that
> causes a reduction in T3 levels
> is not a viable means of achieving lasting fat loss."

I assume that what applies to Atkins here applies to paleo?  But I
don't understand the connection, between quitting the diet, a rise in
T3 and a gain in fat.  Surely, if your carbohydrate intake increases to
above a certain level (but not excess), you would start to lose fat as
your T3 levels rise?

> Faigin also gives four references which point to sleep deprivation
> altering thyroid hormones and
> three references which point to overtraining having the same effect.

I have prostate problems (at 22!) which means I've been waking up my
sleep, three, four or five times a night.  Fortunately I've discovered
saw palmetto and pygeum africanum so in the long run I might be able to
correct this.  But perhaps spending the last decade of my life without
a single good night's sleep has done my thyroid some harm.  I had
previously suspected auto-immune damage, although it's possible that
both have occurred.

> I can't remember where I read it, but about two years ago I recall
> reading (from a non-crazy
> source) that brassicas should be cooked.  I steam mine lightly, but
> also, like you, enjoy them raw.
> I used to like raw cabbage when I was a kid.

I have heard the same thing more than once.  But bizarrely, I find raw
brocolli, cabbage, and cauliflower really nice (especially red cabbage
and cauliflower).  Perhaps this means my body can metabolise the
goiterogens in these foods?  I have always assumed that if you can't
eat a food raw, your body is telling you there's something in it you
can't properly digest.  Personally, I can't eat savoy cabbage raw, but
it's quite nice cooked.

> I don't know how much tea you were drinking previously, but I doubt
> you'd experience any aches
> from giving it up, especially at your age :-)
>
> Ashley - you seem to be running a number of 'experiments'
> simultaneously.  I doubt if you'll be
> able to separate the effects of each one.

Well my tea experiment is half-over.  I've lost the headaches, so I'll
just wait for it to completely leave my system.  Eating very-low-carb
is something I plan to do for the rest of the winter, although I expect
I'll have the odd carrot/swede/bag of nuts at some point.  I guess I'm
impatient- when I suspect something is wrong with the way I'm eating, I
change it immediately.  I suppose I can't complain.  Some people umm
and ahh over just cutting down on chocolate or bread, say.  If I wanted
to eat no veg for the next 6 months but salad leaves, I would.  I like
the freedom paleo gives me over my food!