Date:
Fri, 7 Jan 2005 10:43:15 -0500
On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 08:40:20 -0500, Adrienne Smith <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> We've discussed on this list before how the explorer. V. Stefannson ate
> an
> all-meat diet during a year long experiment and did not suffer any
> apparant
> ill effects.  Does anyone know if he had any mineral deficiencies or bone
> loss?

No, maybe a year not long enough to show?

Apparantly, "native Eskimo people have one of the very highest
> rates
> of osteoporosis in the world"" (194). (See Mazess, R., "Bone Mineral
> Content of North Alaskan Eskimos," Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 27:916,
> 1974.)

When was the study done? I can believe it if it is recent, but they no
longer eat traditional diet, have not done so for many years.

> The traditional Eskimo diet is protein rich 200-400 grams per day, devoid
> of most fruits and vegetables, yet very high in calcium from bone broth.

I would say devoid of all fruits&veg, broth would have been mostly
impossible, considering they had no firewood in most of their territory..

> Any thoughts?  I'm not suggesting that dairy products are the answer to
> prevent bone loss -- most women I know with osteoporosis are constantly
> snarfing down dairy.

Ray Peat PhD. showed that *pasteurised* dairy causes osteoporosis.

   I'm just concerned that my all meat days may be
> hurting me in the long run.

Your all *cooked**meat* diet is certainly hurting you. Inuit traditionally
ate most if not all protein raw.

William

--
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the
intelligent are full of doubt. -Bertrand