ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Phil Scovell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 May 2005 13:57:56 -0600
As I was eating lunch today, I turned on my radio.  Since nothing of value
seemed to be on the national talk shows, I switch to one of the Christian
stations.  One of the better pastors in the Denver area, at least in my
humble opinion, was teaching on how to be filled with the Holy Spirit.  Oh,
boy.  I was very interested in hearing what he had to say because I really
like this guy and his teaching and I have never heard him teach on this
subject before.  Wouldn't you know it?  He had a list of things you, YOU, in
capital letters, had to do in order to be filled with the power of the Holy
Spirit.  Yes, I turned the radio off.  I spent the first 30 years of my life
living that way and I knew for a fact, it didn't work.  Jesus must get
mighty bored with nothing to do all day and night since we are so dedicated
in doing it all for Him.  This pastor, as so often is the case, attempted to
teach that the words for "filled with the Spirit" and "getting drunk" were
the same Greek word.  Apparently, as smart as this man is, they failed to
teach him in seminary that the same Greek word, as with English, can have
two different, and sometimes, opposite meanings.  I've never been drunk but
I sure have been around bunches of drunks in my life; especially when riding
the Greyhound bus.  I ain't never seen a drunk I wanted to be like or that
looked like and talked like Jesus or the Holy Spirit.  I'm been stoned
plenty of times on LSD and lots of other drugs but even that was nothing
like being filled with the Holy Spirit.  If I said to you the single word,
"run," what would you think I meant if I said nothing else?  You might
think, running nose, running off at the mouth, a run in your nylons,
running, as in a race, and about a hundred other things could come to mind.
So how do you know what I meant?  You don't, unless there is context.  So
then, how are you filled with the Spirit.  Well, first of all, that is,
number one.  I'm just kidding.

Phil.

Phil.

Phil C Sharp