From:
Richard Webb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Jan 2006 18:04:16 000

David, g3yxx wrote:
   >why not just turn on your rig and shout?!
   >The unpredictability of HF propagation is less challenging than the
   >problems of computers!
Amen brother!  SOme band is always open to somewhere.  i've
had to sit and tough it out on frequencies such as 14.300
running the maritime mobile service net when the band took a
turn southbound thanks to solar flares etc.  I'd give
information about the net, call and occasionally get a
check-in.  tHen 20 minutes later it was back <g>.
A lot of people seem to have echolink problems, and the only
time I'm exposed to it is on repeaters.  I"m just as glad
the local echolink connection to teh Tri State link system
is down more than it's up to be honest.  HOwever it'd be
cool if they'd put one of their systems on irlp.

Example:  Last night 75 meters went to pot around 7:45 cst.
I was lurking on the geratol net, chased all 50 states and
got 'em worked, just waiting for cards.  I ended up working
another Delaware as a backup and chased a couple numbers I
needed.  Band wasn't great and I was on my backup rig but I
still had a little fun and got three or four more toward my
directors' award.
SUnspot minimums are the norm now for awhile, fire up on 80
60 and 40 meters nights and have some fun.  dredge up a
ragchew on a local machine during free hours (avoid drive
times on busy repeaters and link systems) and enjoy some
real ham radio.  HEck, fire up that keyer or bug and have
some fun chasing paper on the low bands <g>.
JOin your cw and phone traffic net, etc. etc.  WHo has time
to fight with computer problems?
73 de nf5b

WHo will never be seen directly connected to the echolink.

Richard WEbb,
Electric SPider Productions,
Eads Tennessee

braille:  support true literacy for the blind.