From:
Danny Dyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Jul 2005 12:15:53 -0100
Hi Andy, there are several different brands, types, and price ranges for
these "automatic tuners.
There are several of them which reportedly will enable you to tune random
lengths of wire, especially those having built in Balums.  Most of the ones
with which I'm familiar are designed to be used very close to the
transmitter or tranceiver in question, and Some are designed to be installed
in a weather proof case at the base of the antenna.
From what I've learned, probably the LDG series of tuners are the most blind
friendly, although that's a matter of oppinion...one thing about LDG, they
are _Very good on customer service, answering questions, turn around time on
fixing problems, etc.  I've had a couple of different LDG automatic tuners,
but haven't really used them enough to give you much real input.  I have and
use a Kenwood ts440SAT tranceiver with built in antenna tuner for my "fixed
station operation, and am right now considering purchase of an antenna
tuner, whether automatic or manual I've not decided yet, to go with my Yaesu
FT70 Manpack Portable HF radio/ordered but now in transit.  What type of
radio and antenna do you have?  And what do you hope to accomplish.  I'll
help if I can, and you'll find many on this list who'll do likewise.
Sincerely, Danny Dyer,
Wb4idu,
North East GA, USA.
email, [log in to unmask]