From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Jun 2005 21:59:19 -0600
if the fan itself is loose, then the c clip/ring that holds the blade
assembly on, might be bent or loose causing the blade assembly to rattle
until it gets into its constant RPM's.
In this case a simple replacement of it by an equally sized computer fan,
commonly availible at most computer parts supply stores, not including radio
shack or circuit city hi hi, will fix the issue...and probably quiet things
down allot...older fans usually are noisy because they have worn out all the
oil or grease that is put on the shaft and bushings to help the rotation.
I have regreased all my older computer fans because they were so
noisy...just popping off the C ring and keeping track of the little peaces
and you can pull the fan assembly off the shaft, throw some axel grease or,
hehehe, transfer case oil, at it and it will run silently for years.
12 volt fans are usually easier to work on, since they have less parts and
peaces and are easy to take apart...i took apart a 120 fan once and never
could get it to work properly again.  They tend to have more rubber rings
and c clips involved then 12 volt fans.
If you grease the fan shafts or the bushings, make sure to use a synthetic
low heat high lube grease or oil and nothing that will get hot since these
things are turning at a high RPM almost constantly.
73
Colin, V A6BKX