Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Rob Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Jan 2005 17:54:00 -0500
| You may be right, Rob, but can you justify this relatively sophisticated
cuisine technology in Paleo
| terms?  I would have thought that raw eggs would be the main Paleo way of
eating eggs.

Keith,

To be honest, I never gave it much thought.  The recommendation was based on
material from the Protein Power LifePlan (Eades).

Although I'm a health inspector and am naturally concerned about the risk of
salmonella and campylobactor associated with eating raw eggs, I feel that
the risk is very low.  For personal consumption, I side with Mercola on
eating raw eggs. If you have a healthy immune system, eat raw eggs.  If you
contract gastroenteritis, take copious quantities of probiotics to help
outcompete the pathogens (salmonella, campylobacter etc.).

I guess there remains some debate about whether paleo is synonymous with raw
foods however.

I'd like to see more data on pathogen loading of free range animals vs
factory farmed animals.

For instance, chicken flocks in Sweden receive probiotic supplementation,
instead of routine prophylaxis of antibiotics.

The regular use of medicated (antibiotics in particular) animal feeds has
led to the development of "superbugs".  This is especially cruel given the
virulence and resistance to antibiotics these "superbugs" possess.  They can
cause great gastrointestinal and systemic distress, and are a direct result
of medicated feeds.

Rob