Date:
Sun, 22 May 2005 14:43:33 EDT

Thanks for  all your responses!

On the road  from the airport out to Kihei/Lahaina, on the right in a strip
mall will be a  health food store called Down to Earth.  We bought a few
things there  the first time we went to Maui, but on subsequent trips, I
just brought  Kinnikinnick bagels frozen in a cooler (checked baggage).

We always stay  in Kapalua (West Maui).  There is a Safeway in Lahaina that
has a big  Asian section (like a whole aisle).  I found Taiwanese (Hot Kid)
rice  crackers, rice, etc.   Safeway has a gf store brand list.  Bring  that
with you.   Be sure to get a Safeway card (Like a Ukrops card  (I'm from
Glen Allen) - to get major discounts on sale items.  Food is  exorbitantly
priced in Hawai'i.

On Office Road, in the Kapalua complex  is the Honalua Store (100yrs old).
Great place. They carry local fresh fruit  (mangoes, pineapple) and Hot Kid
rice crackers.  They sell food-to-go in  the back, with picnic tables on the
porch.  At Breakfast, there are  bacon, eggs, and rice.  My daughter and I
ate these with no problems  (she is the celiac - I am very allergic to wheat
- makes my mouth swell/get  hives).  Most of the cooks are of Phillipino
descent and that is the  style of cooking (my husband is Phillipino).
Phillipino food does not use soy  sauce - instead it uses fish sauce which
is gf.  We ate the chicken and  beef adobo with rice (hot to go) almost
every day.  Delicious,  reasonably priced, and no cooking involved. Neither
of us had a  reaction.  My approach to gf may not work for everyone, but I
can say  that my daughter and I are quite sensitive and neither of us was
sick  for  a moment.

Try going to www.goodhealthpublishing.com for a list of  70+
national/regional
restaurants and their lists of gluten/wheat free  items. There's also a
gluten free dining card that can be presented to  restaurant personnel to
ease the ordering process.

Give it a look and  enjoy your trip
I have a friend in Hawaii and she  suggested your member contact:
I have found  that Amy's, a supplier of some frozen gluten free products and
can soups  sells here in most health food stores on Oahu and I have found
that the  company is very good at replying to requests.  Write to
[log in to unmask] (mailto:[log in to unmask])  and ask  them for what
health food stores on Maui sell
their products.  I have no  contact with any Celiac on Maui and don't know
any other way to do it.   When Amy's gives you a response, call those stores
and ask if they have other  gluten free products.  That is the only way I
know to go about it. As to  restaurants, if Maui has an Outback Steakhouse,
they have a gluten free  menu.  Other than that, can't help with restaurants.
There is a Down to Earth store in Maui on Dairy Road. Not far from  the
airport. There is also a COSTCO near the airport.

Madelyn Smith
Manager
The  West End Gluten Intolerance  Group
Richmond