From:
Frances Kelley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Frances Kelley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 May 2005 22:46:27 -0500

Last week I wrote for suggestions for ethnic and GF recipes for a class
presentation my celiac daughter was doing on Kazakhstan.  The list supplied
a number of wonderful ideas.  She did apples and sugared walnuts.  Both
were a big hit with her classmates.  Even the teacher who normally does not
eat the food the kids bring enjoyed it.

Thank you all for your suggestions and here is a summary of the suggestions
I received for anyone who is interested.

Francie Kelley
Austin, TX

*********
1.         I asked a friend at work about this because she has a daughter
doing Peace Corps in Kazakhstan. I know they eat potatoes and Sue says they
eat a lot of pasta perhaps using rice pasta would work?  She didn't have
any recipes.

2.         If you have a Russian grocery in you area they sell products
typical of  that part of the world including some very yummy jams.

3.

4.         NUTS WITH SUGAR

2 table-spoons of butter, about 0,5 of a piala of sugar, a piala of nuts of
any kind.

Butter is heated and sugar added, then this is put on slow fire and boiled
untill sugar dissolves completely and gets thick. Ground nuts are added and
thoroughly mixed. The obrained mass in put in a flat cup, made even and
adorned with fruitdrops.

Source:
<http://www.kz/eng/cooking/mms.html#NUTS%20WITH%20SUGAR>http://www.kz/eng/cooking/mms.html#NUTS%20WITH%20SUGAR

5.         If they eat hummus it is great.  We eat it all of the time.  We
like to dip it with tortilla chips in our family but any GF cracker would
do.  If you would like a recipe, I can pass it on.  It is VERY easy to make
or you can buy a really good version at Trader Joe's.

6.         The Kazakhs have a wonderful snack food that we've done for
people here in the States and that has been really loved.

You take millet and mix it with butter and sugar. If you're interested I
can send you the proportions. It is not cooked and is crunchy, but my
daugther likes it alot as have other people.

If you're needing something easy to prepare; I would suggest yogurt.
Kazahks eat a good bit of yogurt...the best thing would be to find a yogurt
recipe and make this...the texture is very different from the type of plain
yogurt you buy in the States.  The yogurt is very creamy (not gelatiny) like
in the US.  To this they sprinkle sugar on it to eat.  However, if you
don't want to take the time to make yougart, then a "quick" method would be
to buy plain, unsweet, yogurt and  add a little milk to make it more
creamy.  Then when it's placed in serving dishes, each person adds their
own sugar to the top.

Another traditional meal requires cooking....I found this on the internet,
but talked about it with Janka and made some changes.  Depending upon the
region of Kazakhstan that people live in effects they way they prepare
their food/what ingredients they use.

KUYRDAK MADE OF MEAT

2 cups mutton or beef (mutton would be much more traditional)
3 onions
1/2 cup oil for frying
1 cup of broth (beef can be used)
salt, spices and sour cream to taste
  If you'd like a full meal then:
4 pounds of potatoes  ( you can use less, but they like lots)
Cooked and either mashed or served cubed.
Green peas  (served to side)
Fresh tomatoes chopped or sliced (Served to side)
Carrots (cooked and served to side)  (They like to julienne these)

For marinade: 3 TBSP of oil, 1/3 cup water and 1/2 cup vinegar  (let the
meat sit in the for several hours in the fridge before cooking) Meat is cut
into bite size (stew meat)  pieces fried in hot fat/oil with onion and
pepper, salted to taste; then laurel leaf and broth are added and
the meat is stewed to readiness.

7.         By the way, apples would be a good fruit to put on top of the
nuts and sugar.  Some scientists believe that the apple was first
discovered in the hills of Kazahstan (others say it came from somewhere
nearby).  Even now, apples are very important to the culture.  The largest
city in Kazahkstan is surrounded by apple gardens.

<http://www.virtourist.com/asia/almaty/01.htm>http://www.virtourist.com/asia/almaty/01.htm

8.         <http://kazakhadoptivefamilies.com/cooking.html>Kazakh Adoptive
Families: Kazakh Cooking and Recipes

9.         How about a nice bit of sausage? Or grated carrot salad with
walnuts? Cheese?
The seem to be a meat-oriented people, so salted or preserved meat would be
good. Or just a boiled roast?

They also make pelmenis, which I did make using GF flour. Just mix some
buckwheat flour with egg yolks (and I used a little kefir), and form them
into flat noodley things, fill with spiced raw meat, and close them up.
Then boil them in soup.

<http://www.kazakhembus.com/Food_and_Traditions.html>http://www.kazakhembus.com/Food_and_Traditions.html

Salads took the form of grated beets and carrots blended with light sour
cream, walnuts and shaved horse meat.

Appetizers were thinly sliced horse meat sausage, sheep intestines and cheeses.

There were many other side dishes served, but the centerpiece of the meal
was a huge platter or two of the national dish, besparmak.

Besparmak is huge chunks of horse meat, boiled on the bone and served with
a broth on top of wide doughy noodles. The word means "five fingers" and it
is still OK to just reach out and grab a chunk of meat and noodle and pop
it into your mouth.

<http://www.kz/eng/cooking/cooking.html>http://www.kz/eng/cooking/cooking.html

Meat is the basis of the majority of dishes; exactly meat dishes adom any
dastarkhan: their abundance is a sign of the fast;ve Wble's richness and
diversity. Since olden days the Kazakh cooking distinguishes itself by its
peculiar technology. The peculiarity of the Kazakh people's tenor of life
left its mark on the ways of food making. In the traditional Kazakh cuisine
preference was always given to boiling. Exactly this process makes it
possible to obtain soft and delicate gustatory shades of meat, adds
juiciness and fragrance to it.

Great importance was given to layingin and long-term preservation of food.
During live-stock slaughter a part of meal was salted, dried, sometimes
smoked; of horse-meat mainly such delicacies as kazy, shuzhuk, zhal, zhaya,
karta and so un were made.