Date:
Fri, 30 Dec 2005 04:11:21 +0000

?Calcium/D and Magnesium-

Due to malabsorption I was not able to tolerate vitamins until June 2005 after one year on a gluten free diet.  Other dietary restrictions due to immune reactions or difficulty digesting are casein (dairy), soy, low fat, sugar free, yeast free, lemon and lime the only citrus fruits and no tomatoes.Last year all my mineral levels were low. I still have some mild malabsorbtion but have improved greatly in one year.  I have slowly been adding vitamins beginning with Designs for Health Twice daily multi (800-847-8302) which does have Vitamin D, zinc and manganese. I am now trying to add Calcium and Magnesium which are not in the vitamin as I don't seem to tolerate these two very well.  Magnesium Malate Chelate by Designs for Health 250 mg per tablet is one that is supposed to be easier to handle.  I can take 4 or 5 tabs a week before I start towards diarrhea.   I have always had trouble taking Calcium and often seem to have muscle spasms when trying Calcium. I have tried to take Calcium since my early 20's but I am sure it wasn't absorbed as I still had osteoporosis by age 40.  I understand that you can have muscle spasms if Calcium is too low and if it is too high the Magnesium cannot be absorbed.  I have read that Calcium Carbonate and Calcium Citrate are not soluble in water and may not be absorbed properly.  They also reduce stomach acidity (Tums) and may interfere with digestion of food.  More soluble calcium compounds are best absorbed.  The two I have read that may be better absorbed are Calcium glycerophosphate or Calcium Malate Chelate.  Also am wondering about Calcium powders and what is the best way to take them-maybe if it is divided into several doses in the day it might be more easily absorbed.  Next week I will be having a mineral and vitamin profile done.  Also I am not sure how easy it will be to find Calcium which has no dairy or soy.  Any suggestions would be welcome especially how to balance these two minerals to get the most benefit from taking them.
Thank you so much.  I really appreciate all the information I have received from the listmates.
Robin in Massachusetts