From:
Alicia Erickson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Alicia Erickson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Jul 2005 13:37:59 -0700

Thank you so much for all of your responses! Some thought it was a bug,
but the majority thought it was possible for her to have a reaction 3
days after the fact. She is doing great today. It was as if she needed
to get the tiny amount out of her system and then she was a little tired
but that was it. My gut (no pun intended!) feeling is that she was
reacting the small amount of gluten on the chicken nugget. She never
throws up unless she has some kind of flu, of which she was not
presenting symptoms yesterday. The last time she threw up was a year ago
when she ingested gluten. I think her body is so clean and recovered (DX
in December of 2003), that she is very sensitive now. I know these
things will happen and it's a good lesson to learn from, especially now
that she's getting older and starting to understand a little better. I
think our track record is ok right now since the last time there was an
accident was June of 2004. I will post all of the replies below.

Thanks very much for all of your feedback!
Alicia

- At that age, tummy bugs are frequent visitors! I'm old enough to be
her grandma, but my reactions hit about 48 hours after ingestion.

- Here's what I think happens:
The gluten causes the destruction of T-cells, which is the first line of
defense for the immune system. When they are wiped out, the growth of
bad gut bugs, like yeast, occurs, and that can frequently causes
nausea. That process can take 3 days. If I ate some wheat, I would get a
horrible cold 3 days later. Every time. Unfortunately, what she ate
wasn't as "trace" an amount as you might think.

-  I have had a reaction a few days later, it takes time to digest
sometimes, I think everybody is different but I think it could possible
be the gluten. I ate some easter candy once right after being diagnosed
and it took a couple days for a reaction. Hope this helps.

-Mine always last 3 days

- Yes, it can take that long. Sometimes it takes me a couple of days
before
showing any visible sign. I cannot take my kids into certain resturants
with
playlands because they don't clean properly and their are food bits on
the
floor. Give her some organic peppermint tea and put her on the B. banana
R. Rice A. Applesauce T. Toast (rice) diet. This will calm her tummy.
Also, acidophilus will help.

- I think if it was from gluten ingested accidentally three days ago the
reaction would be further down in the gut (gas, diarrhea or
constipation) not vomiting. If your child has a fever that could
indicate virus rather than gluten. But in either case some pepto bismal
and rest should help. Sometimes when my little celiac girl got an upset
tummy I would run her a bubble bath (to calm and sooth her) and spoon
feed her yogurt or plain white rice. Good luck

- Oh yes. I usually have my reactions a few days after eating
something--especially when I was little like that. As I get older, I
think I have some of them sooner or perhaps certain foods just have a
quicker reaction time for me. I don't know, but I do know that I still
can have a sore stomach begin days after and it can linger for days
depending on how much gluten I got.

-Your guess of a tummy bug is probably right!!  Gluten reactions do not
last that long.
I have been diagnosed celiac for 15 years.

- I thought that perhaps I was having a gluten reaction for the past two
days with vomiting and diarrhea until I talked last night to two other
people that are having the same thing. Neither have CD so if it
something going around in my area perhaps it is also going around in
your area. I feel terrible. This is day three and I hope it is about
done, otherwise I will have to see our family doctor.