From:
Peter Felker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Peter Felker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Jul 2005 01:55:33 +0000

From: "Peter Felker" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]

Good day
I am a plant scientist that has been working with the nitrogen fixing tree
of the genus Prosopis that is commonly called Mesquite in the USA and
algarrobo in South America. The genus also is widespread in Sahelian Africa,
the middle east and the arid regions of India and Pakistan. This was the
most important part of the diet for many indigenous people in both the
deserts of what is lower California, Arizona, northwestern Mexico, Peru and
Chile/Argentina/Bolivia. In the 1980s a series of researchers began to
develop milling practices to isolate various fractions of the mesquite pod.
The portion that is eaten is the pulp around the seeds which is about 45% of
the dry weight of the pods.

A typical analyses of the flour is as follows: Moisture 2.6%, protein 7.2%,
fat 2.2%, ash 3.1%, Calcium 0.13%, iron 0.045 %, crude fiber 2.4%, total
carbohydrates 85%, total sugars 59%(virtually all sucrose), reducing sugar
(2.7%), condensed tannins 0.57%, soluble polyphenols 0.006%, insoluble
dietary fibre 20.1%, soluble dietary fiber 6.47%, total dietary fiber 26.6%,
  energy 3780 kcal/kg, 650 mg/100 g of total anti oxidants as gallic acid
that is equivalent to 1,239 mg vitamin C equivalent anti oxidant/100 grams
and it is gluten free.

The association of Celiacs in Argentina where I used to live, used to mix
50% of this mesquite flour with 25% rice flour and 25% manioc flour. As can
be seen by the analyses the mesquite has considerably more protein, fiber,
calcium and iron than either manioc or rice flour.

In addition the mesquite has a sweet spice flavor resembling cinnamon,
nutmeg or chocolate but not exactly like any of these.  I have used the
mesquite flour but with 1% guar gum(1/2 teaspoon/cup of total dry
ingredients) to improve the texture. I see that other research groups have
recommended 2 % guar, xanthan or locust bean gum with gluten free baked
products.

I do have considerable PDF files available with more technical details.  The
flour is available ffrom www.casadefruta.com

I would be pleased to know if anyone has tried mesqutie flour or has any
comments or suggestions
Many thanks

Peter

Peter Felker