From:
Sue Clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Sep 2005 14:41:34 -0400
Hello Diane,

I'm not sure what type of backup you're talking about having done, but one
of the best recovery tools is a Knoppix Linux Live CD.
You need to download the .iso file, and burn it to a CD, so this works only
if you have a CDR or CDRW in your computer (almost standard nowadays).
To get Knoppix, go to
http://knopper.net/knoppix-mirrors/index-en.html
Choose a mirror near you (the US ones are at the bottom) and use the ftp
option if available (usually is faster, although may have limited
connections).
Once you've downloaded the file (to your hard drive, then burn it as an
image), a good site with Windows recovery information is
http://www.shockfamily.net/cedric/knoppix/
Or you can Google "windows recovery using Knoppix" (without the quotes) and
get tons of site with information.
Linux can read windows partitions without the grief of "permission" and
"ownership" so your data files will be easily recovered. Alternatively, you
can use Knoppix to move the backed up files to your new hard drive and run
the recovery program from there.
Good luck. Oh, and don't let the fact it's a Linux build scare you...Linux
is not necessarily just for geeks anymore...more user friendly than ever.

Sue Clark
Bristol, ME

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>