From:
Loy Pressley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Sep 2005 14:14:26 -0500
Hi Alton,

8 Mb I could live with, however the difference in the size of the drive
as reported by Partition Magic and shown by WinXP is over 8 gigabytes. I
think that is too much to account for WinXP use and for loss caused by
cluster size.  Something else must be going on.

Is it possible to do a "low level" format of Drive C: and maybe recover
the lost 8 gigabytes of disk space?

I have a 160 GB Western Digital hard drive on the way via UPS.  I live
over 60 miles from the nearest computer store so I'm dependent on
ordering over the net and on shipping.  I am running WinXP SR2 so I
think I can get around the 137 Gig restriction.

If I can somehow recover all the space on this hard drive, after
replacing it with the new 160 GB, I will use the 40 GB as a USB drive
for backups.

Thanks...

Alton Woodams wrote:

>Loy, I recently formated a new drive using Win XP.  Win XP, for reasons of it's own reserves 8 Mb (a puny amount on a 40 Gig drive).  I believe it generically said why, but I don't remember.  In any event it is apparently the price you pay for progress.

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml