From:
Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Sep 2005 11:26:39 -0700
At 11:06 AM 9/5/2005, you wrote:
>On 4 Sep 2005 at 7:51, alan smith wrote:
>
> > I have an ASUS mobo & CPU that wants to run hot. I've noticed that the fan
> > sucks air UP throught the cooling fins. Wouldn't it be more efficient
> if the fan
> > BLEW the ambient air DOWN through the fins of the heatsink ??
> > Has anyone tried it ?? I'm interested in all comments. AL SMITH, Toronto

I have been running a dual Xeon 3.06 system for about a year, and a half,
and a Prescott system since last May. Xeons run very warm. Well, not as hot
as my 3.4 Prescott which has a thermal factor of 104.... but they have a
thermal factor 95, and there are two of them.

The retail Intel CPU coolers make a tremendous amount of noise. The first
thing I did was to upgrade to after market CPU coolers, with copper heat
sinks, and bigger quieter fans, to cut way back on the noise problem...
this worked well, but I still had a lot of heat build up in the case.

I spent six months figuring out the best way to get the heat out of the
case, and out of my office, and to kill the noise. In my esoteric
situation, there were a lot of factors that came in to play, but it boiled
down to a full size extended case, with seven fans in it, and a change of
location of the actual PCs.

However, in the process, I discovered that the single most efficient
cooling device, for getting heat out the case, is a port hole fan. The
Enermax Server cases I bought, already had a port hole, but it would be
easy enough to cut your own into the case. I have done this on other cases.
In fact, it would work better to cut your own, for better air movement,
since the ones I have are baffled for noise, and dust.Then I installed 5000
RPM fans in the portholes of my two cases.

Heat rises out of the porthole naturally, and your fan just helps to speed
up the process. A port hole fan really drops the interior case temperature
fast! A port hole with a high rev fan in it, on it's own, will solve most
PCs, interior heat build up problems. Most situations probably don't even
need the high end 5000 RPM fan as a standard 2500-3000 RPM fan will do the job.

Rode
The NOSPIN Group
http://www.freepctech.com/rode/

                     visit our download web page at: