Date:
Sat, 7 May 2005 22:57:59 +0000
IMO, the CDROM unit(s) may have given up the ghost.
I've had to replace many a HP CDROM unit & burner, and
other brands as well.

Make sure that the unit(s) is/are properly jumpered
with regards to master/slave configuratrion, though HP
likes to set up the units as CS (cable select).

The best way to verify its/their operability would be
to download a Windows 98 boot floppy, set the PC's BIOS
to "boot from the Floppy or removable media" first and
then choose to have the system load the DOS support
drivers for the CDROM unit(s).

If the unit(S) then results as being inoperable ("No
CDROM found"), and you have not made any changes to its
wiring configuration, as previously described, i.e.,
you have not changed the cables and are sure that these
are hooked up properly & a lose ribbon or power cable
is not the cause for the failure and that the units
jumpers are properly installed, then it's time to
replace the unit(s). If under warranty, call HP and
request a replacement.

It's odd that both, the burner and the reader would
fail simultaneously, but not impossible. Perhaps you
should check each unit individually, assuring that they
are properly configured and wired.

Otherwise, purchase a dual layer DVD+/- CDROM+/- burner
and install it in its place. I saw a generic one
advertised for a mere U.S. $49.00 dollars at one of the
local office supply stores this week, with warranty, of
course.

HTH,
Tomas Santos
-------------

On Fri, 6 May 2005 00:02:49 -0500, In Automatic digest
processor
 Margaret Thompson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Subject: CD Rom
>
> I am having a problem with Windows XP Pro and and
Atapi
> CD Rom that was installed with the computer before I
> installed XP Pro.  I installed an HP 9100 writer in
> December.  Both cd rom drives were working perfectly
> until recently, now neither one works.  I uninstalled
> the HP and disconneted it thinking that would let the
> Atapi get the right drivers.  That still didn't work.
> also have an HP Photo Smart 145 installed in the past
> couple of months.  The system is a 951 MHz and 256
ram.
>  I order an HP CD Writer installation disc for Windows
> XP compatability but cannot install since the cd
drives