C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bobby Greer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Jan 2006 13:42:17 -0600
Kat,

    In  regard to random sampling, you made my point better than I did.

In regard to intelligence, you refer to the Stanford-Binet IQ. This is only
one of hundreds of measures of intelligence, i.e. the Wechsler Scales, The
Peabody, etc. Yes, there are other forms of surviival skills which are more
predictive of adjustment, but they are theoretical in nature and would not
be approved by most
dissertations committees due to valideity/reliability factors. Besides, a
great argument could be made that intelligence is a stronger factors in CP
for compensatory reasons. Another important point is that IQ"s now are
Deviation IQ's with restriction on the range of scores. Very high IQ's are
now in the 130 range, not 160 or 170. Such old IQ's were based on the
formula MA/CA X 100. These IQ's actually dropped as we grow older(CA  =
chronolocal age and MA = Mental Age).

Bobby