C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Tamar Raine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 May 2005 17:40:23 -0700
me too, Kendall... I started 8th grade at a regular Jr. high on a trial
basis, (my parents were not impressed with the combined Jr and Sr high for
kids with disabilities) and just had math and homeroom in the OH room.
(orthopedically handicapped) I learned  how to advocate for  myself from
watching and listening to my mom fight for my right.. I did very, very well
at that Jr. high,  but  hs was another story. Long story short, I ended up
in an alternative "hippie-style"  high school for 10th grade, but
transferred to another alternative high school within a regular school. It
was actually a gifted program in the worst high school in long beach, but
the program was wonderful with the best teachers I've ever encountered.
After high school I traveled abroad with my family, then came back to start
college, and from college through age 40, I never had a case manager
except the one at in-home services after a car accident. I decided to leave
my husband of 7 years the year I was 40... I signed up for regional center
services because my physical ability was no longer so good.  Today I help
train new personal care/communitty assistants in the philosophy of
supported living. That is they should always listen to the clients, respect
the cl;ient, and do not boss the client around.

Mag

Please ask your Congressperson to vote FOR the MICASSA bill, this
will allow medicaid funds to pay for community supports
instead of isolating the person in a nursing home or institution.
HR 910 is the bill number
Senate version of MiCASSA (S 401).

Oakland Mayor's Commission on People with disabilities
~Tamar Mag Raine~
IM: tamarmag48
Yahoo IM Tamarmag56