From:
Steve Forst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 May 2005 17:13:33 -0400
Posted this a bit earlier, but didn't see it come through.   Sorry if it's a
dupe.  Steve KW3A

Lowell,

Took a fast  look on Kenwood's download page but  didn't see it.  There may
be a newer version  coming up but have not heard  about it.  As far as I
know, the latest version of the firmware  that came out  about 3 months ago
only added  pl tones for sat mode and extended 40 meter tx  for EU  models.
The TS 2000 world is still  awaiting FCC  rule change to make Sky Command
legal using  the 2 meter band.    Rumors abound as to when this will happen.

I'm  still using original firmware from almost 4 years ago and  will only
try an update  if Kenwood adds something I can't live without.

There have been any number of horror  stories on the TS 2000 reflector over
the years  about firmware update  problems.   Most  go just fine, but some
are a disaster.   Once the old firmware is out and the new  firmware starts
firmware loaded.

There seem to  be  more problems with Win XP  than  with Win 98.   Some guys
have had to  borrow a different pc with a different os to get it  to take.
There also  seems to be a need to have  all  other programs shut down  I
have no idea what effect a screen reader would have on this process.   Not
even sure if this  firmware  software is screen reader friendly in the first
place.

Other guys have gotten screwed up  by  powering up the rig with the on/off
switch on the front panel of the rig at a  time in the  process when you are
supposed to power up by  reconnecting the 12v  line on the rear.

I'm not trying to be the  voice of doom  Hope it works outfine for you.
Just be careful.  This is not a simple  20 second  process with no pitfalls.
Know what you are  doing and have a plan B ready.  Sighted help, second pc,
or  even a  second 2000.  If I remember correctly, someone had to use a
friends 2000 to load firmware into his 2000 after he hosed  it in a
firmware update failure.

Good luck.  If it works for you I'll let you do mine..

73 Steve KW3A.  .