AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Seb Wallang <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Seb Wallang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 May 2005 23:36:23 -0400
** Please visit our website: http://www.africanassociation.org **

Peter,
I don't know what happened when I replied to your email message
earlier but this is the full text. I hope it comes out the right way
this time.

SW

 Seb Wallang  to AAM
  More options   11:30 am (11 hours ago)

> Unfortunately, there is neither oil nor diamonds in that 'pre-
> colonial' country to warrant such bold action.

They have more than oil and diamonds. You are forgetting that the CIA
was out there furtively seeking the supply routes of WMD raw materials
(Uranium) and desperately stretching the link from there to Irak! This
is probably a more compelling reason for them to keep quiet in the
midst of these inhumane practices. Remember Darfur? Now under
Condelezza Rice, the US position has quietly slipped from one of
strong condemnation of the genocide as a crime against humanity to an
acquiescence of the government assistance to militants aimed at wiping
out the black negroid population.

However we can't and should not continue to stay silent when our black
kin continue to face this centuries old barbaric practice. The African
Union seems to have risen to the task of tackling that issue after the
strong leadership efforts of Mbeki and Obasanjo. Troops from several
African countries are maintaining the peace in Sudan. By contrast, the
US and even China are more interested in the Anti-Terrorism fight and
Oil respectively. Unlike in Ruanda, there will be no international
trials of these crimes against humanity to bring the perpetrators to
justice. The US position clearly assures that this will not happen.

Niger, Mauritania, Sudan and to a lesser extent other Sahel countries
continue to provide sanctuaries for the sale, torture, rape and murder
of black people considered commodities for trade and labor and not
human beings. Why do the same Mbeki and particularly Obasanjo champion
the restitution of damages for slavery when right next door (virtually
under their noses) the scourge of black folk continues unabated.

We (as Africans) need to redirect our focus to other African countries
to do something about this. There is no more noble cause than this.
Infact I would call on Nigeria to apply the pressure with threats of
intervention if possible. Afterall, they intervened in Liberia, Sierra
Leone and were poised to do same in Togo, why not!

We should stop looking up to Euro groups to say something, or do
something on our behalf.

Samoh Wallang