From:
Steve Brumbaugh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Oct 2005 14:35:05 -0700
Hi,

I know this topic has occurred before, but I wanted to find out if there are
any new thoughts.  I have an Acomdata USB hard disk, only about 15 months
old (but out of warranty by 3 months) that is acting badly, which I presume
is the precursor of total failure.  It's 160 GB and I have backups of a lot
of the crucial files on the disk, but because of lack of space I don't have
copies of lots of video that I've stored on there.  I've been able to copy
some of it, but it's working slower and slower.

The disk starts spinning up to speed and then about 5 seconds later, I hear
a "tunk" sound and then the whirring declines.  It immediately starts
getting up to speed again and the whole process repeats.  The light on the
front is green until just before the tunk sound when it flickers red.  At
the sound it goes solid red only to turn green again as the spinning
apparently starts again.

Is there anything I can do to get the rest of the files off?  Sometime in
the past, I heard somebody say something about putting the drive in the
freezer for an hour.  Might that work?  Anybody with any ideas?

Thanks,
Steve

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com