CEL-KIDS Archives

CEL-KIDS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Danelle Sorensen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Jun 1997 22:14:03 -0400

>Does anyone have any advice on how to let the teacher know that my
>daughter has Celiac?  Who else should I tell?  Thank you in advance.

As a teacher at our church I can tell you there are a lot of kids out
there on diets of one sort or another.  Don't be embarrassed to give your
child's teacher a little educational information--perhaps a brochure or
something.  Encourage her to call anytime she has doubts or questions.
And remember to "flag" your child's paperwork, book bag, lunch box, and
anything that personally belongs to your child with a message about the
diet.  A little free advertising at the right moment could save an upset
tummy later.  Stay on top of classroom activities and volunteer to bring
snacks for everyone when needed.  It saves the wondering willies that
keep moms awake at night.

I have used little armbands for years when the kids were pre-school age,
it would probably still be appropriate for kindergarten.   Something that
the child wears everyday is also a good backup system for days when there
is a substitute teacher, or extra moms on field trips.   Make an armband
your favorite way, write or stitch the information, add your favorite
fastening device.  The armband slips over any clothing the child might
wear, and should be adjustable to allow for different clothing and
growth.  I always made mine very bright and visible, solid colors work
best so that they will show up against all the different clothing.

 General dimensions:  (finished size)  2inches by  10-12 inches to allow
for overlap, growth and your own fastening device.  Mediums that work
well:  fabric pens on muslin, cross stitch on aida or linen,  embroidery
on fabric.  Fasteners:  heavy snaps (trust me, the little ones don't
work), velcro, elastic.

 My armbands carried a message similar to  "Benjamin is on a special
diet".  The child's diaper bag or book bag always had a laminated card
bearing the details of the information, and as always, some sort of
non-perishable drink and snack just for emergencies.

Accidents will happen though, and you need to be prepared with a gentle
reminder speech for those caring for your child.

Danelle Sorensen
Kansas City, KS, USA