C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Meir Weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Jul 2006 21:10:15 -0400

  _____

From: United Cerebral Palsy [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, July 06, 2006 18:16
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: JoshBlueFans.com, UCP Celebrates Comic with Disability

 <http://www.ucp.org> UCPeople, A Weekly Journal for UCP Affiliates

July 2006 	Forward to a  <http://ga4.org/ct/37zgusn1kz60/> Friend | Donate
<http://ga4.org/ct/cpzgusn1kz6K/> Online | Visit
<http://ga4.org/ct/3dzgusn1kz6l/> UCP.org

 	 Inside this Issue

*	United  <> Cerebral Palsy Starts Fan Site for Accomplished Comic with a
Disability

*	United  <> Cerebral Palsy Summer Contest for Kids

*	In  <> the News

United Cerebral Palsy Starts Fan Site for Accomplished Comic with a Disability

You're not supposed to laugh at people with disabilities, right?

Wrong, says Josh Blue, a 27-year-old stand-up comedian with cerebral palsy.

He chides the audience, "You guys better laugh at me, because this is my
make-a-wish!"

 <http://ga4.org/ct/edzgusn1kz6Q/> Click Here to visit JoshBlueFans.com
Click  <http://ga4.org/ct/edzgusn1kz6Q/> Here to visit JoshBlueFans.com

Most of Blue's act is borrowed from living with a disability, how he deals with
it and how other people view him.

Blue's right hand doesn't open and his walk is less than fluid. He knows that
his disability makes him stand out, but instead of hiding it, he uses it for
material in his stand-up comedy routine. Blue usually starts his act out with,
"People ask me if I get nervous before I go out on stage. I say, 'Heck no! I've
got this many people staring at me all day!'"

Josh explains in a recent interview with Twin  <http://ga4.org/ct/epzgusn1kz6Y/>
Cities Press, "I rarely get people who are unhappy with what I'm doing. Yes,
what I'm talking about is a very touchy subject, but somehow I've found a way a
make that situation comfortable. You can't help but laugh. I guess I put people
at ease."

Beyond his comic career, Blue is also an accomplished soccer player. He played
for the US in the 2004 Paralympics.

To celebrate his inspiring story of living Life Without Limits, United Cerebral
Palsy has started JoshBlueFans.com <http://ga4.org/ct/edzgusn1kz6Q/> , a fan
site for Josh Blue. There you can read blog entries, watch videos, see photos
and even send Josh fan mail! Visitors are encouraged to leave comments and send
letters of encouragement. If you'd like to write a blog entry for the site, just
e-mail Rhys  <mailto:[log in to unmask]> Gerholdt for details.

Watch Josh Blue on NBC's "Last Comic Standing," on Tuesdays at 9:00 pm EST.

United Cerebral Palsy Summer Contest for Kids

United Cerebral Palsy needs your help to tell the story of Isabelle's Kids, our
new initiative for children and youth with disabilities!

We are looking for kids with any type of disability, ages 5-18, to participate
in Isabelle's Kids' summer poster contest. Each contestant's original art should
express the unique experience of growing up with a disability and living without
limits.

The top artist will receive a $500 savings bond and the winning poster will
appear in a fall 2006 issue of ABILITY  <http://ga4.org/ct/3pzgusn1kz6p/>
Magazine as a print advertisement for Isabelle's Kids. Second and third place
winners will receive savings bonds in the amount of $250 and $100, respectively,
and 150 honorable mentions will receive a United Cerebral Palsy "Life Without
Limits" wristband.

For more information and to download the official contest entry form, visit
www.ucp.org/isabellekids. <http://ga4.org/ct/d7zgusn1kz6G/>

 <http://ga4.org/ct/d7zgusn1kz6G/> Click to visit Isabelle's Kids
Using the GoodSearch.com <http://ga4.org/ct/31zgusn1kz6o/>  search engine raises
money for UCP.

Advocacy Campaigns

<http://img.getactivehub.com/an2/custom_images/publicpolicy/actionalerticon.jpg>
Ask Your  <http://ga4.org/ct/xdzgusn1kz6i/> Senator to Co-Sponsor Kennedy
Medicaid-IDEA Funding Bill

Senator Ted Kennedy (D-MA) will be introducing legislation aimed at correcting
billing problems and making the special education related services/Medicaid
reimbursement system fully transparent and accountable. Take
<http://ga4.org/ct/xdzgusn1kz6i/> Action

<http://img.getactivehub.com/an2/custom_images/publicpolicy/actionalerticon.jpg>
End the  <http://ga4.org/ct/xpzgusn1kz69/> 24-Month Medicare Coverage Waiting
Period

Currently, Americans with disabilities who apply for Medicare must wait 24
months after having their disability diagnosed before they are eligible to
receive Medicare benefits. Take  <http://ga4.org/ct/xpzgusn1kz69/> Action

<http://img.getactivehub.com/an2/custom_images/publicpolicy/actionalerticon.jpg>
Tell  <http://ga4.org/ct/x7zgusn1kz6k/> Congress to Support Veterans with
Disabilities

The administration's budget proposes introducing a $250 enrollment fee and
increasing prescription drug co-payments from $8 to $15 for some veterans. Tell
Congress to reject these new fees. Take  <http://ga4.org/ct/x7zgusn1kz6k/>
Action

American Worker

 <http://ga4.org/ct/cdzgusn1kz6J/>

Resources

United  <http://ga4.org/ct/d1zgusn1kz6T/> Cerebral Palsy

Josh  <http://ga4.org/ct/edzgusn1kz6Q/> Blue: The Fan Site

Isabelle's  <http://ga4.org/ct/d7zgusn1kz6G/> Kids Poster Contest

 In the News

Fewer  <http://ga4.org/ct/c1zgusn1kz6-/> Workers with Disabilities In Federal
Civilian Jobs

The federal government considers itself a model employer of people with severe
disabilities, but a continued decline in the number of such employees working
for Uncle Sam threatens that image. The Washington Post 07/06/06

The  <http://ga4.org/ct/e1zgusn1kz6P/> Disability Gap

OPINION: Nationwide, under two percent of students have learning disabilities
severe enough to qualify for extra time on the SAT. In private school Manhattan,
the percentage is substantially greater. And that means dramatically higher
scores. The Huffington Post 07/06/06

Study  <http://ga4.org/ct/e7zgusn1kz6R/> Explores Ways to Help Foster Children
with Disabilities

Children with disabilities have it rough enough. Children with disabilities in
foster care are faced with additional risks. United Cerebral Palsy and
Children's Rights teamed up to issue a report, "Forgotten Children: A Case for
Action for Children and Youth with Disabilities in Foster Care." It is touted as
a first-of-its-kind review of how foster care systems serve (or fail to serve)
children with disabilities. Scripps Howard News Service 06/30/06

  _____

This message was sent to [log in to unmask] Visit your subscription
<http://ga4.org/publicpolicy/smp.tcl?nkey=dx76k64p535tdt&> management page to
modify your email communication preferences or update your personal profile. To
stop receiving Life Without Limits - UCP Monthly Newsletter, click to
unsubscribe
<http://ga4.org/publicpolicy/remove-domain-direct.tcl?ctx=subscription&nkey=dx76
k64p535tdt&> . To stop ALL email from UCP Public Policy Action Center, click to
remove
<http://ga4.org/publicpolicy/remove-domain-direct.tcl?ctx=center&nkey=dx76k64p53
5tdt&>  yourself from our lists (or reply via email with "remove" in the subject
line).

 <http://www.getactive.com>
  <http://ga4.org/nlor/dx76k64p535tdt>