C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Deri James <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Jul 2005 21:46:52 +0100
Hi Kat,

On Sunday 10 Jul 2005 13:05, Kathy wrote:
> Hmm...considering that most people don't get disabled until they
>  are pensioners (at least here in this country), I don't see how that could
> help here.  Oh, and also a lot of disabled people don't even collect social
> security disability benefits because they don't qualify.  In the US,
> disability income is paid until you reach the full retirement age which in
> my case would be 66.

The actual requirements for the scheme are:-

you receive the higher rate of the mobility component of the Disability Living
Allowance;

you receive a War Pensioners' Mobility Supplement;

you use a motor vehicle supplied for disabled people by a Government Health
Department;

you are registered blind;

you have a severe disability in both upper limbs, regularly drive a motor
vehicle but cannot turn the steering wheel of a motor vehicle by hand even if
that wheel is fitted with a turning knob; or

you have a permanent and substantial disability which means you are unable to
walk or have very considerable difficulty in walking. In this case you may be
asked to answer a series of questions to help the local authority determine
whether you are eligible for a badge. People with a psychological disorder
will not normally qualify unless their impairment causes very considerable,
and not intermittent, difficulty in walking.

As in USA, disability benefit ends at retirement age, so OAPs can only qualify
under the final paragraph, and believe me, that is not easy. If you can walk
200yds with any aid (and it doesn't matter if it takes you all day) you won't
qualify.

> Also consider that many placards are issued to drivers who transport
> disabled passengers.  I think that's where a lot of the abuse comes in,
> too.  But the photo could be workable, up to a point.

Same is true here, but the photo means you can check the person with
entitlement is in the car.

> So now that you no longer have a badge, how is this affecting your ability
> to get to work and go about your business?  Do you have to take public
> tranport more now, or what?  How does this affect pensioners who don't draw
> disability income but become disabled?

Well I live in a village so parking's not a real problem locally (so long as
there's room in the pub car park!!). I commute to London on a lovely air
conditioned train and live sufficiently far out to always get a seat.

> Kat

Cheers

Deri

PS How do people on the list fare with the Police "sobriety tests", I'm sure
I'd fail stone cold sober!!!