BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
William Gould <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Feb 2005 12:40:42 -0500
Dendrochronology is the counting of tree rings but the simplicity of the
concept stops there.  To practice Dendrochronology, you have to establish a
reliable calendar for a species of wood, Oak is generally chosen in southern
New England, in the area where you want to date timbers.  You do that by
taking repeated borings for analysis.  When the samples from different
buildings and timbers in the test area can be dated reliably the test area
can be expanded until the calendar no longer works.  The greater Boston
calendar area has been reliable in Johnston,  RI, 50 miles south while not
reliable northwest of Boston by a lessor distance.  It is a trial and error
thing.  It is reliable within an area unless timbers were used from outside
the calendar area.  As forests were cut off materials had to be obtained
elsewhere.  So, there may be a date where Dendrochronology may no longer be
effective.  What has been discovered is that trees may be harvested and not
used at the same time. There was a four variation in the dates of timbers
used in a barn on Boston's north shore.  These types of results help us
understand the methods employed three centuries ago.