From:
Kenneth Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Jun 2005 21:59:05 -0400
The Sony ICF-SW7600GR is a great portable receiver.  It has really great AM
and shortwave reception, but easily gets overloaded on FM.  It has an RF
gain control which does help with the FM overloading.  It is the only
portable I know of that has a Synch detector and I believe this is a very
useful feature.  It runs off 4 AA batteries and is about 7.5 X 5 inches.
The tuning is direct entry and it has 100 memories.  Cost is in  the range
of $125 to $150. This is my bedside radio.

I also have the Kaito 1102 which is a great radio, works just as well as the
7600GR except no synch detector.  It also does not have a rf gain control,
but it has a local/dx switch which is very useful.  The FM reception on the
1102 is great. It has a mono/stereo switch, bass boost and wide/narrow
bandwiths which really help on AM.  Size is 5.6 x 3.7 inches and uses 3
rechargable AA batteries.  Charger and batteries are also included.  The
1102 can costs around $80. This is my backpacking/commuting  radio.

        I don't know much about the Sangean ATS-909, but it is bigger and
heavier than the 7600GR, runs off 4 AA batteries and cost around $230.

You can read about all these radios at Universal Radio and I think
RadioIntel has reviews on all these models.

Try these links:

rffun.com (Universal radio)
Radios4you.com  (Kaito, Grundig and Sangean radios and more)
Radiointel.com (Great shortwave page with radio reviews)

73, Ken -N5SWR