Date:
Sun, 22 May 2005 21:10:59 -0600

Lloyd wrote,
   >I know that accessible HF radios  is a permathread here on the
   >Blind-Hams list.  From looking at specs, it appears to me that the
   >Icom IC746-Pro would be likely to be a better CW receiver, with more
   >options for adjustment of IF bandwidth, etc.  Have any of you
   >compared it against a 480, either for receive or for ease of
   >operation or control panel clutter?  I understand that the 746 Pro
   >can take a speech board and speaks little more than frequency and
   >S-meter readings.
I use a 746 pro at the University hospital station which is my only hf
station at the moment.  I like the rig on cw and I've been checking
into cw traffic nets quite a bit with it.  THis radio doesn't have a
speech board at all but I use either direct frequency entry or can
read the display if I put my nose right up to it.

Have never used a 480 so am not familiar with that rig, but like the
receiver on the 746 quite well.  THe hospital is located a block off
Tulane avenue center city new orleans so you know how it must fight
with noise sources in the central business district.  tHe receiver is
a real performer compared to many I've seen.

I"ve meant to get back to a brailable cheat sheet for the 746 for
thsoe who want it but  been busy with other projects both business and
ham radio, but you'll find it a good rig.

73 de nf5b

Richard Webb

Electric Spider Productions
--- Benjamin Franklin, NOvember 1755 from the
Historical review of Pennsylvania