From:
Steve Dresser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 May 2005 23:16:20 -0400
Lloyd,

The 480 comes with two different mounting configurations for the control
head.  The one I use is a flat metal plate with rubber feet on the bottom,
and it sits quite nicely on my operating bench.  The head is tilted at a 45
degree angle (personal preference, the angle can be easily adjusted), and
the feet keep the plate from sliding.  The other plate has holes in it so
you can attach it to a desk or shelf.  Again, the head can be tilted to
suit your taste.  I thought about using that plate, but decided I rather
like the idea of being able to move the head around.  This would be even
handier if I handier if the radio was near a computer where space is often
at a premium.

The RF gain isn't exactly in a menu.  It is activated by pressing and
holding the number 5 on the keypad.  You adjust the gain by turning the
channel knob, which is a rotary knob with click positions.  The voice reads
out the gain numerically, and you can leave it active and still tune the
radio.  When you're done, just press and hold the 5 again.  Kenwood uses
the same principle for adjusting power output, Mic gain, TX monitor,
processor level (both in and out), Vox gain and delay, and CW sending speed.

I wouldn't mind if the buttons were a little bigger, but there's enough
space between them so that I don't make mistakes unless I'm really in a hurry.

Since you have that 50KW station so near you, it might be a good idea to
try the 480 before you buy it, just to make sure it doesn't get
overloaded.  I don't have to worry about that here, so I don't know if the
480's receiver can handle that kind of input.

Steve