From:
Lloyd Rasmussen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 May 2005 23:14:51 -0400
I know that accessible HF radios  is a permathread here on the
Blind-Hams list.  From looking at specs, it appears to me that the
Icom IC746-Pro would be likely to be a better CW receiver, with more
options for adjustment of IF bandwidth, etc.  Have any of you
compared it against a 480, either for receive or for ease of
operation or control panel clutter?  I understand that the 746 Pro
can take a speech board and speaks little more than frequency and
S-meter readings.  Have you 480 users ever thought that your
transceiver was too verbose?  I'm frustrated because my local HRO
store is over 30 miles from here, and they said they never stock
their demo radios with accessory filters, voice boards, etc.

I still don't know when I will actually buy something new, but it
might be this year.  My R4C really works, but I like general coverage
SW listening, and the FS-4 frequency synthesizer is starting to
become very flaky again.

On Fri, 20 May 2005 18:00:03 -0500, Howard Kaufman wrote:

>The ts-480 is really fun to use.  I hear that objection about the face of
>the radio, and just for the life of me can't imagine why you would want it
>attached to the radio.  What is old is new again.

Some people think that the devil is in the details.  Actually, God is in the details.
Lloyd Rasmussen, Kensington, Maryland
home: <http://lras.home.sprynet.com/>
Work:  <http://www.loc.gov/nls/z3986>