C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
greta von der luft <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Jan 2006 13:08:57 -0500
it is a sample of convenience. I aimed to have 110 kiddos split equally by gender not intelligence. The self concept tool that I am using was validated for use with children with mild cog impairment and average intelligence. So I was limited to include only those children with CP with average intelligence or mild cog impairment. I did have children with above average intelligence, but I grouped them with those with average intelligence. I did this as I was not  measuring intelligence, but rather using it a demographic item/descriptor. In the end I will be using educational placement to describe intelligence as I ran into a few problems (see previous post).

My hypothesis is to first cross validate a self concept measure for use with children with CP. Hence all of analyses dealing with internal consistency and construct validity of the measure.

My second hypothesis to describe quantitatively self concept in children with CP.  If the measure is proven valid and reliable, I will attempt to describe quantitatively the child's self concept as it relates to the different demographic characteristics  that I collected (age, gender, grade, educational placement, assistive devices, physical impairment level, classification of CP (di,hemi,quad), race, home environment). Also I will compare the children's with CP self concept levels with the norms  (children without disability) that are provided by the publisher.

I would like this tool to be used as an outcome measure (before and after surgery, intensive therapy, change in educational placement). I can go off and say why this is so crucial, but time is limited for me now.

I also think self concept should be studied qualitatively; that is my next study after earning my PhD.

Again I hope this helps some,

Greta