C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Meir Weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Nov 2004 12:17:03 -0500
-----Original Message-----
From: [log in to unmask]
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Avraham Tzvi
Schwartz
Sent: Sunday, November 07, 2004 11:19
To: Keep Smiling Readers
Subject: Keep Smiling #168

BS"D --

----    KEEP SMILING    --------

Does a handicapped person pride himself on his wheelchair. Does he say
to other people: "You poor folks must stand, walk -- while I sit and
travel on wheels"?

In this same way, we can ask, should we take pride in today's
technological advances, its scientific progress? Are we unable to
maintain a quality of life without them?

We're not saying that the progress isn't marvelous. Certainly, we now
enjoy glorious gifts we never dreamt of before. A pauper in our times
lives in greater comfort and luxury than kings of old. Still, the
question remains doesn't this "extra help" reflect a weakness on our
part, an inability to live happily without crutches?

The philosophy of this question we can leave to the philosophers. What
we must realize though, is -- now that we have it all -- at the very
least, let us be happy with our lot. Let us enjoy our lives.

FIRE DESIRE

Your desire is your fire. A small desire is a small fire -- it fires
small engines. A great desire is a great desire -- it fires large
engines.

Your desire is a fire. There are two aspects here: (1) what you desire,
(2) how much you desire it.

(1) What you desire: Obviously, we must want the right things. The wrong
desires hurt us, break us, burn us. We must know what we want -- and see
it as clearly as possible. We need to learn what we should want -- from
outside, as well as from the knowledge buried within us. We need to find
it, extract it, hold it up to the light.

(2) How much you desire it: The more we focus on our desire, the greater
it grows. If the desire is a negative one, we should talk less about it
-- think less about it -- for our own good. But if the desire is a good
one, a positive one, we should think and think. For the more we focus on
it, see it -- the more we realize it, and breathe life into it.

For this reason, petty thoughts, jealousies, bearing grudges, hating,
are all so stupid. They rob us of "mind-time", the energy we could give
to our desires -- and building our world.

SKIPPING

"The call of my lover comes closer; it skips on the mountains ... "*

Hashem is my lover. The moments of my life are His gift. I must take
hold of them, as they come, one after another. Moreover, I must run with
them, keep up with them -- that not even one should get lost.

While material objects surround me -- I work with them, eat them, give
them away, buy them -- they are not the real content of my world.
Instead, they are vaulting poles. I grasp them, run with them, jam them
into the ground, and hurl myself into the skies. Through living fully,
richly, with energy, I move with Hashem from one learning experience to
another -- from one heavenly level to the next.

* Shir haShirim 2.8

----   Have an awesome day   --------

----  There are two Keep Smiling books out to date, both hard-cover. The
first "Keep Smiling", the second, "Be Happy and Succeed". Both are
available from me at US$10 each. The second should also be available at
your local Jewish bookshop.

To receive books from me, please send a check. Add $4 for mailing
outside of Israel, or $1.00 inside Israel for each book ordered. Insert
the check into folded paper to conceal it, and send to:

Rabbi A.T. Schwartz, Meshech Chochma 27/3, Modiin Elite 71919, Israel.

DOWNLOAD free, any of two full books and four excerpts of Rav Schwartz's
books. Save them on your computer for your own reading. The site address
is http://www.shemayisrael.co.il/publicat/schwartz

Please forward this letter to anyone you think would like to receive it.
To subscribe to two such emails a week -- click

To unsubscribe, click

To ask any questions or send feedback, please click

--------
Subscribe also to "Shas Stories" from Rav Schwartz -- to see a sample
click: http://www.shemayisrael.co.il/publicat/schwartz/sam.htm
--------

----  All rights reserved C including translation rights. This
publication or any part thereof may not be reproduced, or transmitted in
any form or by any means, without prior permission, in writing, of the
copyright owner. Excerpts may be used for non-commercial purpose, on
condition that the title and author are mentioned.

----  Please note: Subscribers receive this letter only by request. If
you find yourself on our list without your consent, please attribute
this to a friend who thought you might like it.