From:
Roy Jamron <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Roy Jamron <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Apr 2005 20:50:45 -0500

Medscape has just posted this new free CME article on celiac disease.  You
may need to register (free) with Medscape to access the article:

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/502488

Advances in Celiac Disease
Posted on Medscape 04/27/2005
Peter D. Howdle   Gerry G. Robins, MBBS, MRCP, MD
Curr Opin Gastroenterol 21(2):152-161, 2005. © 2005 Lippincott Williams &
Wilkins

* * *

And I find the following article which suggests food allergy may be a
primary cause of enlarged tonsils in children to be very interesting.  My
tonsils were removed during my childhood when tonsillectomies were the
current medical fashion of the time.  Why, I don't know.  I didn't have the
option of making that decision.  Since childhood and as an adult, I
frequently experienced throat irritation and the need to clear my throat
(the pediatrition just passed it off as "habit".)  Decades later, only
after determining I was gluten intolerant and had become aware of various
food allergy issues, I finally discovered, all along, that is was a
sensitivity to corn that had caused my throat irritation.  Removing all
corn products from my diet immediately and permanently stopped the throat
irritation.  Could it have simply been a corn sensitivity that caused
doctors to unnecessarily remove my tonsils?  Grrrrrrrr.....

Przegl Lek. 2004;61(12):1330-3.

[The occurrence of food allergy and bacteria allergy in chiidren with
tonsilar hypertrophy]

[Article in Polish]

Modrzynski M, Mierzwinski J, Zawisza E.

Poradnia Alergologiczna NZOZ Euromedica, w Grudziadzu.

The diagnosis of food allergy is difficult because it is a multifaceted
problem and is incompletely understood. Both upper and lower respiratory
tracts can be affected by food allergy. The importance of bacterial allergy
of the upper respiratory tract is however one of the most controversial
problems in allergology. The palatine tonsils play an important role in
immunologic surveillance and resistance to infection in the upper
aerodigestive tract. The role of enlarged adenoids and tonsils in upper
airway obstruction has become well-established earlier, thus, adenoidectomy
with, or without, tonsillectomy is one of the most commonly performed
surgical procedures in the paediatric population. Research done in respect
to Waldeyer's ring on people dealing at the same time with allergy, is
seldom the subject of dissertation in Polish as well as world wide medical
literature. To examine the influence of food and bacterial allergy on the
tonsilar hypertrophy (TH) we studied 136 children ages 3 to 7 years, who
had TH. On the basis of allergic and immunological examinations, in 28.6%
food allergy was confirmed as the main cause of the complaints. We conclude
that large tonsillar tissues sometimes with upper airway obstruction may by
caused or aggravated by food allergies, therefore, early prevention of
exposure to them may help reduce occurence of TH.

PMID: 15850323 [PubMed - in process]

* * *