From:
steeplechase19 <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
steeplechase19 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Jun 2005 22:14:49 -0400

Recently a poster stated bagged lettuce salads are rinsed in flouride
[fluoride].  I was concerned but was unable to find any verification of
this.
I wrote to Dole about their process and the response follows.
They state their lettuce is washed in a  "lightly chlorinated water bath".
For anyone interested, the letter follows.
******

Thank you for contacting us about DOLEŽ Salads. We appreciate that you have
given us the opportunity to respond.

Our commitment is to provide you with the highest quality products we have
available. To meet your needs we introduced the DOLEŽ Fresh Cut Salads in
1991. We have extremely stringent measures that meet or exceed government
standards. This ensures a fresh, safe, and nutritious alternative to foods
prepared in the home.

Within hours of harvest we have washed, cut, packaged, and shipped our
products. They are refrigerated to preserve freshness and quality. All
packages are stamped with a "Best If Used By" date. The lettuce is washed
in a lightly chlorinated water bath approved by the Food and Drug
Administration (FDA). Refrigeration and modified atmosphere packaging
preserve the product without the use of chemicals or preservatives. Our
products are analyzed and tested at every stage of production. We routinely
have products independently audited and tested to ensure a safe product.

We appreciate having the opportunity to respond to your concern and hope we
may continue to serve you as a consumer of our products.

Sincerely,

Dole Consumer Response Staff
0688240A / DAP/cl