From:
Ellie Weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 29 Apr 2005 17:31:40 -0400

The only feedback I got from the list was a Greek Restaurant on a hill as
you left town.  I think this was being redone.  We had some great
experiences if anybody else is considering a trip to the Adirondacks.

Out B&B was Mountain Shadows in Saranac Lake.  I'm going to try and include
some of my e-mails with them.  I was just told (from a blood test) to avoid
eggs.  But they seemed to enjoy being creative with what could I eat for
breakfast!  I thought it was quite good.  I think my 85 year old mother
would have preferred more normal fare.  They have a web site.

> > We would be very happy to work with you regarding your menu
requirements.
> > We can provide eggs, potatoes, vegetables, fruit, juice, milk, coffee or
> > tea.   My husband can do a nice omelet with vegetables, etc.
> >
> > The rate for the suite is $85.00/night.  We aren't set up to accept
credit
> > cards.  However, we would accept personal checks.
> > Thanks again for thinking of us; I am looking forward to meeting you and
> > your Mom.
> >
> > Sincerely,
> > Patti Hilling
> > Mountain Shadows B&B
> > 145 Old Military Road
> > Saranac Lake, NY 12983
> > 518-891-6925

I forgot the name of the Bagel place on the main drag in Lake Placid but my
daughter goes in regularly with her own bread product and they were great
too.

The Cliff Hanger in Keene Valley actually has gluten-free bread.  We asked
them to use ours because we like it better. A good place to get a picnic.

All our dinner restaurants were cooperative.  I wish I could remember names
better.  Back on the main drag in Lake Placid I think it was called the
Steak and Seafood Grill and our server and the cook were very protective.
Things like thinking to not grill the shrimp where everything else was
grilled!

The Cottage which is right on the water let us bring in our own bread to
have with appetizers and actually sliced and toasted it for us ...

The Belvedere in Saranac Lake was less posh and did give us croutons but
were willing to read ingredients on packages.

We spent one rainy day driving to Plattsburg in search of a gluten-free
bakery my daughter had heard about.  Turns out it is a woman working from
her home in Peru.   You can get things frozen at the Rulf's Farm stand in
Peru or at the health food store in Lake Placid.  You can also order direct
518-643-2437.  The french bread is good though still not the "real" thing.
We liked the cookies, magic bars and carrot cake.  Anna had brought the pie
home before and we liked that a lot.  I plan to call Ann at the above number
and try an order myself.

The final find was when we were at the Plattsburg Co-op trying to locate the
"bakery" and got a restaurant recommendation.  Irises has just joined the
gluten-free restaurant awareness program.  Try www.irisescafe.com  They are
downtown and had the best dessert we found, "brownie soufflé".

So go ahead and plan a trip!

Ellie