From:
Betsy Bowman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Betsy Bowman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Jun 2005 11:46:41 -0500

FYI ONLY.  I am not interested in beginning a lengthy debate on the
pros and cons of taking high does of vitamin C.  This is meant for
your information only.  If anyone else wants to present other
information, please feel free to do so.  You can find any point of
view you want with a Google search.  Reasoned decisions based on
individual situations and nutritional requirements should be
made--nutritional needs may change over time.

RE:  Vitamin C, in doses of 1000 mg 2 or 3 x daily (2,000 - 3,000
mg), or more, if needed,   Suggested as a laxative in the summary
posted on June 5, 2005.

Listmates:

Please talk with your primary physician/gastroenterologist before
taking any large dose of Vitamin C.  Large doses of vitamin C may
contribute to kidney stone development resulting in actual bone loss
in some persons.  Bone loss is something that you do not want to
happen with celiac disease.  Reports of tooth enamel erosion and
vitamin B 12 deficiency are in the literature and need further
evaluation--these could be undesirable in celiacs.  The Linus Pauling
Institute's at The University of Oregon review below does address the
recommendation that a 2000 mg dose as the tolerable limit for vitamin
C.  A lot needs further study on the benefits and risks of high doses
of vitamin C, particularly in the celiac disease population.

I am posting the message about vitamin C to the list as it is a large
does and can cause problems that related to bone health.  I am adding
the American Cancer Society's recommendation and the section that
deals with the kidney stones.  You can find many entries on the
Internet related to a variety of points of view.  I have included two
below.  The Linus Pauling Institute's review has many links and