From:
Russ Poffenberger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Aug 2005 08:54:55 -0700
The upgrade CD's allow you to install fresh, but typically you need the
original install CD from the previous OS you are upgrading. Part of the
fresh install asks you to insert the previous CD and it will check for
validity before proceeding. If you only have the installed image on another
hard disk, I am not sure if it will scan this as a valid upgrade media or
not. I have not tried it. It couldn't hurt to try.

All you would need to do is boot from the XP CD, and follow the directions.
Point to your new disk as the install location, and choose to do a new
install (since it will likely detect your existing OS and want to upgrade
that in place by default.

At 08:41 AM 8/31/2005, you wrote:
>Since you are not upgrading, but building a new machine, I suggest you get
>an OEM copy of XP - the price
>is comparable to an upgrade.  OEM versions are available at places like
>Newegg.com, but you usually have
>to buy hardware with them - a mouse will do.  (YOU are the OEM.)
>
>Dean Kukral

Russ Poffenberger

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com