From:
Kevin Kwan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Apr 2005 01:13:48 -0400
Most phone stores here in Toronto sell the external caller id boxes you can
attach to your phone. I don't use one because I figure who ever calls, will
be gracious enough to tell me who they are. I also had some comments about
the C crane radios. Some of them have cool features: like there's one unit I
heard of on coast to coast which you can crank up and it gives you power for
a time, then you crank it up again for more output. That's ok in a black
out. Then there are other units that have close to indefinite battery life
so that isn't an issue. With that said, I think most of c crane's products
are geared for the general public. Ham operators really wouldn't buy their
stuff because we have way better equipment for am or shortwave reception. If
it was that important, our hf rigs can receive the medium wave and shortwave
bands. The general public wouldn't have all these things nor would they have
a decent antenna to work with. Thus explains why on coast to coast, they're
selling the am justice antenna for 99 dollars. Amateurs wouldn't really buy
that stuff since for a lesser price you can buy all the wire you need to
make your own antenna. I myself have the radio shack dx398 for am and
shortwave reception and it does the job. I love am dx'ing. Now, looking at
it from a different perspective, the general public could save all their
money and with their pc, listen to all types of radio stations that have on
line streaming. Slowly most stations are offering streaming. You don't need
all that gear to hear them. Just go to their website, click on the listen
link and you'll be listening to cd quality audio. now what am receiver
offers that? Also internet stations aren't allowed to rebroadcast
commercials from the radio. As a filler they have their own garbage which is
short and to the point. For example, I listen to Phill Hendry on Kkzn. When
they go to commercials, the rest of the nation waits five to ten minutes for
the return. I only wait about a minute and a half. That's barely enough time
to go upstairs, find my favourite beverage and use the facilities. I also
listen to Wbz. I think Steve Verelly is pretty entertaining. In place of the
dumb commercials they run for everyone else listening on Rf, they have short
cbs adds. So even though I love am dx'ing, I love internet streaming also. I
suspect that in a few years, everything we hear on am and perhaps shortwave
will be streamed on line. I think that's great and I haven't used my dx398
for at least a year since I found out about internet streaming. I've only
had my pc for a year. Maybe one of these mornings I'll give my dx398 a work
out. It's connected to a loop antenna which I use for hf. The last time I
used it, it did great for am and shortwave. So there really isn't a lot that
c crane can offer me which I haven't found on my own. I'm sure other hams
feel the same, va3kky.