VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mike Pietruk <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Pietruk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Mar 2007 06:49:28 -0500
David

The answer is likely that there is no problem.
But what if there is, who is going to be able to resolve it -- likely no
one for no one else has the set up so no one can truly troubleshoot.
Let me offer a working example of this.
A certain model of a Dell computer was having problems working with
Window-Eyes (I forget the specifics).
Anyway, after much going around and around, it was determined that some
driver being there (or not being there) was the culprit for this given
model of not happening to handshake with WE.
And now Gwmicro, some info database at Dell, and who knows what else knows
how to deal with this should this ever pop up its ugly head again.
I suspect that one of the reasons the problem was eventually identified
was that there were enough machines out there with the exact same
configuration and components.
This would not have been the case if the original poster had posted
such a dilemma with the hodgepodge system.
No one else would have it and likely the poster would be forced to work
this out on their own as it might be impossible for anyone else to
duplicate the problem and then brainstorm on it.
And about the last thing I want when I have a problem are well-intentioned
but
out of left field suggestionsas to what might or might not clear up
things.
What I want is someone who actually has been there and can tell me to do
the 8 following steps.

And now we get back to the original question:  what exactly does the
original poster expect the custom home designed system to do that the
thousands of prebuilt models of a given line of prebuilt systems cannot.

If there is something that the custom system can give the individual user
that the prebuilt cannot,
then barking up this tree makes sense.
If, on the other hand, the individual views this approach as attempting to
guarantee no problems, then they are wasting their energy and will
discover that when the inevitable problem pops its head, they may be
totally alone in resolving it.
If I have something that many many other users have, then brainstorming
may be able to resolve it.
And if my system is like many others, the adaptive industry people also
have an interest in working on my problem as some other customers may too
be currently or eventually dealing with this.

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]
    Subscribe: [log in to unmask]