From:
Lyz Rader <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 May 2005 12:34:34 -0400
1.The first thing to do any time your pc behaves oddly is update and run
FULL scans with your anti-virus, spybot and adaware, deleting or
quarantining any items they detect.  Reboot. An icon or link
"disappearing" without human assistance is not normal windows behaviour.
But if you run all three scans, reboot, and still don't see your Control
Panel in the start menu, go to step two:

2.Look carefully at your start menu to see if perhaps a large font
choice hasn't limited space and simply knocked the icon out of view.
Look for little black arrows at the bottom of columns/lists.  If this
isn't the problem, do the following:

3.Right click your START button, choose PROPERTIES, choose START MENU
tab if you're not already on it, click the CUSTOMIZE button next to
either Start Menu or Classic Start Menu (whichever view you're using),
choose the ADVANCED tab, under Start Menu Items the first item in the
box should be Control Panel. Make sure "Display As Link" is the option
selected and OK all the way back out. Check to see if its there.

If you don't see it right away, reboot.  If you still don't see it after
a reboot, then a more complicated approach to "finding" it will be
required.  Post again if this is the case.

Good luck!

Elyzabeth H. Rader
Office Manager/Bookkeeper
The Thaxter Company