From:
Molly NíDána <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 22 May 1997 09:02:42 +0800
> ?? -- is it better to add flavorings when mixing the "powdered" meat with the
> beef fat?  I don't seem to be able to discern the seasoning as much as I'd
> like to in my "batch"  I am also wondering if the spices alter the
> texture/nutritional value of the meat if its added before hydrating.

Something I have noticed over the past year is that the more people
start to eat plain food, the more flavor they notice.  It takes quite
awhile to realign your brain's interpretation of the tastes sensed on
the tongue.  I would also suggest that better quality meat will have
more flavor in and of itself.  Get yourself a meat cutting chart and
familiarize yourself with the diffferent parts of the major meat
animals you eat, and what activities that part is designed to do.
Also pay some attention to what your dinner ate during it's lifetime,
and what kind of lifestyle it might have had.  Having grown up on our
own range fed beef (we weren't ranchers, this was a household
activity) I can assure you that there was a big difference each year
depending on whether they had to be supplemented with grain or hay in
dry years, as well as with breed of cow and portion of meat.

Once you're paying attention to the different qualities in the
various meats that you buy, I suspect you'll have less trouble
getting it to "taste". This is the long way to go about things, but
worth the trouble!

Sla/n go fo/ill

Molly Ni/Da/na
San Francisco, CA